Skip to main content

Real Practice with Toy Tools

Today we decided to pull out some tools that the construction workers might use. I started the activity by reading this cute story, I Love Tools by Philemon Sturges.
I then pulled out some of the same tools we read about in the book. I also had a block of Styrofoam and rectangle of floral foam wrapped in brown fabric (to look like wood), as well as 5 golf tees. I wanted Jake to have the opportunity to hammer and screw without hurting himself. 
I started by showing him how to hammer properly then held the golf tee and allowed him to hammer while I held the tee for the first few hits. I then removed my hand and let him hammer the tee in the rest of the way. He absolutely loved this activity! He hammered all five tees in and was ready to pull them out and start again! He was so proud of himself! 
The tees worked great as nails. They are sharp enough to get through the fabric and long enough to stick down into the floral foam. The top of the tees are wide enough for him to hit.
Next step:  
I pulled the Styrofoam box over and had Jake get to work. He drilled a hole in preparation for a screw. 
 Then I held the block and let him screw in the large plastic screw. He did not like to do this as much as hammering in the nails. I feel it is because of his motor skills. It is difficult to turn a screw driver and push down to get the screw into the block. This is still easier than in a piece of wood with a small screw. The important thing is that he learned how to properly use the screw driver and screw and his skills will grow with practice.
Jake took the activity a step further by grabbing his saw and sawing the Styrofoam square. I was very impressed with this initiative. He loves "cut, cut" (sawing) and I should not have been surprised but I was. He cut right into the styrofoam. It made quite a mess but in what other way would he be able to cut using a saw? What a great experience for a 2 year old.
We both had a lot of fun with this activity and I am sure we will be spending hours upon hours 'working' on making things! After playing for about 40 minutes (yeah, 40!) Jake put the tools into his wheelbarrow and pulled out a brush to "clean-up." In the book we read the father cleaned-up by brushing away sawdust. Jake must have observed this and made a note of it because he did it without any prompting at all. It was too cute!


Classified: Mom
I Can Teach My Child

abc button


Comments

  1. We have hammered golf tees into styrofoam (sp?), but never just plain used our tools. Cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too cute for Words!
    Love his hard had too!
    Marcia :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your little craftsman so cute he looks as if he has a real trade there come see what I shared at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how engaged he looks in all the pictures! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the idea of using floral foam. Will have to try this with my boys!

    Visiting from I Can Teach My Child Link Party.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Neat idea to use styrofoam- I never thought about that before. Found you on the Show and Tell Hop.
    http://tooblessed-tobestressed.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. so fun! My daughter's preschool teacher had a block of styrofoam and some tees for the kids last year - it was a very sought after center during free play! So fun!

    Looks like your lil guy had a great time.

    Thanks for sharing this on the Sunday Showcase - hope to see you this week.

    Bern
    http://momto2poshlildivas.blogspot.com/search/label/Sunday%20Showcase

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Play to Write- Week 3

We participating in a Wednesday Play Group called Play to Write over at Cherrios and Lattes . This is week 3- Write/Spell Your Name.  We started this week's practice with some name tracing. Cherrios and Lattes provides the printable for some dotted letters. She suggested doing rainbow writing with this sheet. I showed Jacob but he was more interested in writing all the Jacobs. I started by modeling on the first name. Then I held his hand and we did it together. Finally I let him do the last three on his own with only my verbal prompts.  He took this very seriously and was very proud of himself! I was surprised at how much he liked doing this activity. He has a long way to go but he did pretty well! One thing I had to repeat was not to go around the o and a more than once. He wanted to go around and around. This is an activity that I think he will want to do again! The next activity was Missing Letter Name Practice. We started by singing a little song I sing for Jak

Name Writing Practice

Jacob did a little name writing practice today. He was asked to trace the dotted lines to write letters for his name. This is good practice with spelling as well. I had him say each letter as he wrote the letter.  As you can see he is very choppy and not exactly on the dotted lines. His motor skills are not quite sharp enough yet to be able to hold the crayon and he especially loses control as he works on towards the end. We also did a Missing Letter Name Practice. Both of these ideas came from Cherrios and Lattes ' Play to Write, Write to Read. These are good ways to practice names and writing. He gets very angry if he thinks he made a mistake. See the scribbling. I have to reinforce that it is ok to make a mistake and that everyone makes mistakes but we just keep trying. Practice is the only way to get better. When this happens I cannot help but think of my former students that did the very same thing and proceeded to throw fits and give up. I hope to help Jacob ge

Building Good Readers

"Your boys are such good readers! I wish mine loved to read like yours do! How did you do that?" Can parents build good readers? How do parents build good readers? This might seem like a daunting question, a task too difficult to tackle. But truly, it does not have to be.  As our children grow and become readers on their own accord they often feel that they do not need or want parents to read to them. It is very common for this to happen, but as their parents, it is our job to push back.  Readers are not born, they are made.  We must find times to read to our children. That might mean reading aloud looks different as they get older. Maybe instead of before bed; you are reading at the dinner table, as they are playing, or during snack time. The point is to share books that will pique their interest and hold their attention. You might have to choose books you might not otherwise choose. The key to reading aloud is to m odel reading for them and to show them th